Wednesday 16 May 2018

Learning experience

Telecommuting today! It was too hot to sit outside working, but I took breaks to water the hydrangeas (which, to my mild surprise, are still alive) and to just sit and have coffee and pulla. I'm beginning to relax about the yard; so what if the lawn isn't perfect and I don't know the name of every single plant? I'm going to make all the mistakes anyway, I might as well get as much enjoyment in between the facepalms as I can.

In the evening I drove my younger daughter S to meet a friend and took the chance to visit Marketanpuisto, a huge showcase garden for companies and a nice destination for a day trip. Even somewhat pressed for time it was an educational visit. When you look up plants online the pictures are always idealised, showing someone's gorgeous specimen at the height of the growing season. Going to Marketanpuisto in springtime, even this late, shows the reality.


Plants don't always look very alive in spring, I'm beginning to realise.

I think this might be our hedge!
I found many familiar plants, including two of our evergreens and several options for what those bushes next to the deck might be. The primary result, though, was that I now have a wish list a mile long...

What a totally gorgeous leaf <3
 
Now these are what I want for that vague nook in our garden, but I can't find them anywhere. ... And when I say anywhere I mean Plantagen, the only gardening shop where I'm anywhere near my comfort zone.

This is so lovely, I adore the drooping branches. I want this to grow on my grave. And there should be a little stone bench and a bird bath.
 
Look at that colour! Lovely golden green.


Love the little bobbles!

How's this for a life goal, then? :D

The park also displays lots of building materials and garden features, as well as different types of plant arrangements.

I plan to go back, hopefully with Madam Guru, a bit later in summer. My wish list will likely not get shorter.

No comments:

Post a Comment