Sunday 6 May 2018

Let me see your identification

We have a map of the garden, some of the plants have come up now and you'd think it would be fairly simple to google each of the plants on the map to identify the actual plants. Well, not doing so great thus far.

EDIT: Help has been received! Thank you Ms Rose Mountain. I've now edited in the actual names of the plants.

Alchemilla (poimulehti) which could go in salads or medicate an upset stomach or menopause(!). That was easy, since Madam Guru already ID'ed that for me.

Cornflower (vuorikaunokki). I recognise it from the pictures, of course, and honestly I'm not too fond of it. Let's see if it manages to change my mind.

Pachysandra (varjoyrtti) had spread. These extras are now removed.

Bleeding heart (pikkusydän). 

 Loosestrife (tarha-alpi), which tends to spread - no kidding, the thing is everywhere. This would be the thing on the map that reads "something yellow that blooms in July".

Peony (pioni), clean up in spring, divide and replant in late summer. This one's on the map, yay.

Cowslip (kevätesikko), also good for salads. When it's done blooming, divide and replant.

Phlox (syysleimu).


Creeping jenny, or moneywort (suikeroalpi), grown for ground cover and needing no care.

Flowering raspberry (tuoksuvatukka) which should produce berries later, unless it's as dead as it looks. It's on the map. The green stuff, though, is ground elder (vuohenputki), basically a weed but also good for salads and for gout and bladder problems!
("Ground elder" makes me think of "mummy brown", actual Egyptian mummies ground to dust for pigment, though I suppose it refers to the plant elder. Which in turn reminds me of the elder wand.)

Skunk currant (lamoherukka). Good ground cover and nice colours in the autumn. Remove dead stuff in early spring.

Daylily (päivänlilja). Flowers briefly. On the map, marked where it should be. Keep well watered.

Pachysandra (varjoyrtti). Do Not Disturb except to remove excess. These were ID'ed earlier and they're on the map, so wheee.

Tulips (which I'm able to recognise all on my own). The blue one is glory-of-the-snow (kevättähti).


There are also supposed to be some awesomely named gay feathers (valkotähkä) here somewhere but I couldn't find any.

1 comment:

  1. Ground elder leaves look a lot like elder bush leaves so there. Absolutely no relation, however. I would get rid of those as soon as possible before you have a yard full. It's the plague of any garden...

    ReplyDelete